CSA Inspection on Aerial Lift Devices
The CSA standards covering scissorlift platforms (B354.2-01) and boom type aerial platforms (B354.4-02) were updated in the last two years after last being published in 1982. The B354 series is cited in Ontario’s construction regulations as being the minimum requirements for design, construction, and operation of aerial work platforms in this province.
Much of the new standards present similar requirements as set out in the 1982 editions, however, there are some changes. These include:
- Variations in the method of testing the stability of the devices
- More detailed operational markings on the aerials
- Improved braking requirements
- Detailed requirements for equipment inspection
- Expanded information on safe operating practices and operator training
The new requirements for inspection set out provisions for daily, periodic, and annual inspections. They also call for structural inspections to be carried out in the following cases:
- 10 years after date of manufacture and every 5 years thereafter. This took effect as of January 1, 2003.
- After an incident that could affect the structural integrity or stability of the aerial such as electrical contact, shock loads, fall arrest, collision, overloading, or losses of stability.
- After a change of ownership, unless a complete history of maintenance and inspection is included with the unit.
The structural inspection is to be carried out under the direction of a professional engineer. As part of the inspection, all welds and other critical areas are to be inspected by visual and/or nondestructive testing. Personnel carrying out visual weld inspections are to be qualified under CSA standard W178.2 (Certification of Visual Weld Inspectors). Similarly, personnel performing nondestructive testing are to be qualified to CGSB standard 48-9712.
This standard reinforces already existing requirements for annual inspection of these types of equipment already in force in Ontario.
Domson Engineering & Inspection has been carrying out inspections that meet the requirements of this new standard for many years now. We would be happy to put our experience to work for you.